Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Who's Protecting Our Kids?

#bully Does everyone remember when we were outraged about this (Cough Cough...Well some of us *look to left...then right* ) :
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-dad-attacks-boy-accused-of-bullying-his-autistic-son/
In advance I'm not condoning what this man did, but I most certainly understand!



Lately, the news has been filled with stories about crimes committed against our kids. A young man being assaulted in Florida and a teen being tricked into an ice bucket prank. The list goes on and on, and these are the ones that made the nightly news. I mean seriously I just can't wrap my mind around someone dumping a bucket of feces on a kid...A kid who wanted nothing more than for someone to accept him. It infuriates me that it took 2 weeks and Drew Carey's wallet for the culprits to be found.

What's so alarming to me is that our children are so vulnerable and that society doesn't really seem to give a Merry X-Mas about them. I mean come on how hard is it to teach your child to do the right thing? How hard is it to point out that when you see someone that is struggling to help them...Not kick them! When I was a kid back when the dinosaurs walked, I wouldn't even think of doing half the stuff these lil hooligans are out doing. Heck I had to be in the house when the street lights came on.  I know that parenting is harder now than it was back in the day...I get that! For us parents with children on the spectrum it's even harder because not only are we spending sleepless nights worrying about our babies. We have to worry about other people and what they may or may not be inclined to do.

I dunno folks...I dunno? What I do know is if someone does something to my son don't be surprised if you see a pudgy little black woman on the evening news. I hope to G-D that things never come to this! What I will do to protect myself, Mr. Hurd, and You is continue to educate and engage communities to gain a better understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorder. More importantly I want people to just be good!

Please always act within the lines of the Law.

No comments:

Post a Comment